Engraving day 2 on Shapeoko went better. I did a bunch of things to make it go better:
I levelled my waste board. I used a depth of 0.05" and which was deep enough, but still easily done in 1 pass. The first time I tried the levelling cut I learned of a new mistake I had made. I did not give my z-axis motor wires enough freedom, which caused the whole carriage to jump back when it started reaching the furthest points on the work surface. So I also had to move my arduino + motor controller into a better position to give more slack in the wires overall.
I noticed that my second y-axis motor wasn't actually secured onto it's gear, so it was not actually increasing my y-axis stiffness. Derp. So I tightened that. This also explains why my first emoji poop cut was able to lag so much back in early December.
I used a 1-stroke font with the Hershey inkscape plugin (as I talked about last time).
Pretty happy with the results!